GMGI’s Development team executes all activities related to philanthropic contributions in support of the marine genomics research institute, Gloucester Biotechnology Academy, and organization-wide priorities. Set to publicly launch a $20 million campaign in 2023, the Development team is growing with the goal of securing even greater support for organizational priorities and operations. The Development Officer will play a critical role in inspiring and securing major gifts for GMGI and serve as a key member of the Administrative team. Charitable giving supports GMGI’s ability to address critical challenges facing our oceans, human health, and the environment as well as our efforts to offer young people new career pathways in the life sciences and biotechnology.
Reporting to the Development Director, the Development Officer will focus on securing gifts over $25,000 and effectively communicate the mission, values, and scope of the organization to external audiences. In this new position, the Development Officer will build and manage a portfolio of prospects comprised primarily of individuals along with select foundations, and partner with colleagues to conceptualize and implement fundraising event and stewardship strategies.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage a portfolio of individual donors and prospects, acting as an externally facing fundraiser to strategically develop new relationships through proactive outreach.
- Work collaboratively with the Development Director and GMGI Leadership to develop and implement overall strategies for identification, cultivation, solicitation, stewardship, and coordination of all follow up steps with a goal to increase the number of gifts and donors at the $25,000+ level.
- Manage the grant application process for a select number of foundations.
- Work collaboratively across the organization, develop a deep understanding of GMGI’s mission, programs, and values. Excellent communication and collaboration skills at all levels of the organization are required.
- Bring an entrepreneurial mindset to the growth of the Development program, striving to improve and extend relationships with donors and prospects in ways that have a quantifiable impact on philanthropic revenue.
- Track moves management actions of prospects and donors in database (Salesforce).
- Conduct research on individuals and foundations to increase the pipeline of prospects.
- Work closely with Development colleagues and GMGI staff on conceptualizing fundraising events and engaging prospects at events.
- Other duties as assigned by the Development Director in support of special projects and initiatives related to prospect and donor cultivation.
|Work Experience Requirements: